Integrative Medicine For Mental Health: A Practical Guide
Integrative medicine is an approach to wellness that combines: Conventional (traditional Western) medicine, which includes drugs, surgery and lifestyle changes. Complementary medicine, therapies that are not part of traditional Western medicine. Care may include chiropractic therapy, yoga, meditation and more.
Choices for Health Care
The goal of integrative medicine is to provide patients with more choices for health care. A practitioner who practices integrative medicine will often work with. You to create a personalized treatment plan that combines conventional and complementary therapies.
Integrative medicine is a philosophy of health that focuses on the whole person. With the aim of treating not just symptoms, but also the underlying causes of illness. The philosophy embraces, but is not limited to, traditional and alternative treatments.
The defining principles of integrative medicine are:
- Patient and practitioner are partners in the healing process.
- All factors that influence health, wellness, and disease are taken into consideration. Including mind, spirit, and community as well as the body.
- Appropriate use of both conventional and alternative methods facilitates the body’s innate healing response.
- Effective interventions that are natural and less invasive should be used whenever possible.
- Integrative medicine neither rejects conventional medicine nor accepts alternative therapies uncritically. Good medicine is based in good science; it is inquiry-driven and open to new paradigms. Alongside the concept of treatment, the broader concepts of health promotion and prevention of illness are paramount.
Boca Raton integrative medicine is a holistic approach to healthcare that combines the best of traditional medicine with alternative treatments. This treatment includes substances found in nature that help maximize nutrient levels. Natural remedies include:
- Diet therapy improves wellness with specific eating plans. They include paleo, Mediterranean, keto, plant-based or other diets.
- Herbal supplements are natural substances with healing properties. They come from plant oils, roots, seeds, berries or flowers.
- Probiotics contain good bacteria that support your digestive and immune systems.
- Vitamins are minerals and other substances that are essential for good health.
- Mind-body practices harness the connection between mental and physical dimensions of health. They include:
- Biofeedback helps you gain better awareness of specific body functions.
- Hypnotherapy heightens your sense of awareness and openness to suggestion.
- Meditation uses mental focus to quiet unpleasant thoughts and feelings.
Boca Raton integrative medicine maximizes well-being by improving the quality of life of people living with complex illnesses. It incorporates both traditional Western medicine and complementary therapies to help people live better lives overall. Complementary therapies may help people living with complex illnesses achieve:
- Better appetite.
- Improved cognitive functioning, which makes it easier to remember things.
- Peace of mind.
- Relief from pain, nausea or fatigue.
- Restful sleep
When you are receiving integrative medicine, it is important to keep your healthcare provider up to date. Letting them know about the complementary therapies you are receiving helps them tailor care to keep you safe.
Integrative medicine combines conventional treatments and complementary therapies. This approach eases discomfort and promotes healing in people with complex diseases. Your care may include acupuncture, bodywork, supplements and more. These therapies can have side effects or affect your response to conventional therapies. Maintaining open communication with all your providers and healers can help you get the most out of treatment.